Technical Head of Structural Design Services - Consultancy Division
Sevenoaks Office, Kent
As a progressive contractor/consultancy we are looking to appoint a Technical Head of Structural Engineering to join our expanding self-delivery business model. Due to continued demand for services we are looking to expand our capabilities, offering an increasingly demanding client base a seamless response to their enquiries. Candidates will need to have extensive post-chartership experience in the design, project delivery and team-running and will need to be Chartered with IStructE and/or ICE. They should have experience of the London consultancy environment and be able to Client-face as well as motivate and develop an established team. You will be working alongside a dedicated build team, who are at the forefront of their industry, using the latest technology and techniques to create technically challenging designs for tender and project purposes.
Current workload is wide with projects across highways, bridges and rail. This role offers the opportunity and scope for real ownership of the structural business unit which is expected to expand and develop. Overall we are looking for a leading expert that has the passion and desire to grow this key offering within our ambitious and focussed business, as such we can pay a top level base salary and benefits package.
To lead the development and delivery of excellent design services throughout all stages of project development. You are responsible in providing technical direction to other design engineers and/or technicians. You will liaise with clients, contractors and third parties. Interfacing with other disciplines such as Term, Civils, Structures, Rail, and Highways is an integral part of the role too. Responsible for resolving technical issues as they occur and for the monitoring of progress of your areas of responsibility. To contribute to the profitability of the business through robust financial management of the discipline.
- To develop and manage a team to deliver consultancy structural engineering services through a range of technical disciplines for varied projects and clients.
- A thorough understanding of the DMRB, EN Eurocodes and national guidance to ensure all designs and deviations meet best practice, appropriate, regulations and company policies.
- To assess and design-out hazards where possible within the design process and propose effective control measures for the reduction and elimination of risk.
- Keeping up to date with technical and legislative developments and seek opportunities to develop professional profile such as giving presentations to relevant conferences/meetings/professional bodies and participation in technical committees for trade organisations and standards
- To conduct site surveys, collect and assess site information, liaise with clients and site teams, as well as represent the Company at design and site meetings.
- To contribute to winning work by providing strong technical support to tenders by identifying innovative and cost effective strategies and design solutions.
- Financial management and control of projects from estimation to completion
- To undertake other duties and ad-hoc projects as required by the business.
- To act in accordance with the company's health, safety and environmental policies, procedures and practices
- To act in accordance with company policies and procedures, particularly with reference to our Equality and Diversity policies, procedures and practices.
- To behave in a manner that supports the company's stated Vision and Values and ensure other team members do like-wise.
- Assisting in the development of the companies talent through coaching and mentoring
Professional / Technical Skills and Experience
- Significant experience of highway engineering and urban design within a consultancy environment.
- Familiar with local government and private sector clients.
- Recognised leader in specialist discipline with well-established industry networks
- Significant experience of highway engineering and urban design within a contractor environment.
- Site management
- Good working knowledge of different contract types and procurement options including but not limited to NEC3
- A degree Structural Engineering.
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) or appropriate professional body (ICE)
- High business ethics - honesty, respect for the individual, culturally unbiased
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills at all levels
- Experience of growing, mentoring and leading teams
- Individual thinker capable of actively contributing to the delivery of team performance
- Ability to operate in a collaborative manner to ensure other parties are fully engaged
- Experience of bidding and winning work
- Strong customer focus and excellent customer service skills
- Commercially aware of P&L
- Demonstrable ability to work in a busy environment
- Experience of working under pressure
- Strong concern for order and quality
- Robust attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Agency.