An exciting opportunity for a Shift Manager has become available with an industry leading company based in Swansea. Our client specialise in the production in mill and melted products, supplying in United States and Europe. Continuous improvement in manufacturing is their goal, and understands that a highly motivated workforce makes that possible.
* Responsible and accountable for the delivery of the daily batch plan for the shift.
* Accountable for ensuring the Team Leaders and Operators have been given clear expectations on daily targets and that these targets are achieved.
* Identify and implement improvements in equipment utilisation, energy usage, product quality and labour efficiency to achieve Daily Flex Targets.
* Lead continuous improvement activity to improve operational efficiency in order to deliver reductions in waste and cost.
* Deploy Shift Engineering Coordinator and Shift Quality Engineer to shift priorities to ensure Shift Metrics are met.
* Accountable for all aspects of HSE on shift, must continuously improve safe systems of work such as accident investigation, incident reporting and risk assessments, ensuring all corrective actions are closed out in a timely manner.
* Will use Process Improvement and Lean Manufacturing Tools such as SPC, FMEAs, 5S and Lean Sigma structured problem solving techniques to drive improvements.
* Accountable for ensuring Shift holidays and absence are managed such that the shift can function safely and efficiently and delivers the forecast ESH.
* Implementation of the plant Sickness and absence policies, including return to work interviews.
* Disciplinary management, including investigation and delivery of appropriate disciplinary sanctions.
* Ensure training needs are identified and training plans are delivered to create a skill base for maximum flexibility. Delivery of Competence and training reviews to support the above.
* Responsible for adherence to the quality policy for the shift to include management of calibration systems, Non Standard event analysis, completion of audits, Corrective Action Report completion and communication of all issues to teams.
* Effectively communicate through the use of a range of reports including investigations, shift reports and assessments. Also communicate to all levels via presentations and briefings
* Must be either of graduate calibre with management diploma and/or have equivalent experience within a management role in a unionized environment.
* Must be able to demonstrate a range of leadership skills such as delegation, coaching and support while able to interpret and challenge traditional behaviors and practices.
* Able to interpret high level business objectives into day to day plans and roll out and delegate to teams, able to clearly identify day to day priorities and create action plans to deliver.
* Demonstrable skills in managing people (development and managing performance), managing information (effective budget control and communication activities), managing activities (prioritising activities, continuous improvement activities) and managing systems (including knowledge of ISO9001, OSHA18001 and ISO14001).
* Good written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels are essential.
* Working knowledge of continuous improvements methodology and appropriate coaching and teaching skills are an advantage.
* A willingness to be trained to a Green Belt standard in Lean Six sigma
* Experience preferable in an aerospace manufacturing environment.
* Experience and exposure to a union environment would be advantageous.
For more information or to apply, please email with a copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Agency.