Programme Manager - based in Twickenham - Salary Competitive
Do you want to work and be part of an organisation that manages a number of research funding programmes on behalf of the Department of Health with a total annual value in excess of £400 million?
This is an exciting opportunity within the Innovations Directorate to gain significant experience in these two commercially focused research management programmes. These schemes fund some of the most cutting edge health technologies and solutions in the UK today and will be of particular interest to candidates with experience in the area of technology transfer. The advertised post is a central role within the Innovations Directorate team that oversees the full end-to-end process of research management, from launching new calls for applications through to the active monitoring of funded projects.
The key role of the Programme Manager is to coordinate and support the funding processes and to ensure effective monitoring of funded projects.
A major aspect is the management of all research funding activities, including the coordination and management of short-listing and funding committee meetings and of the peer review process.
The Programme Manager will also carry out due diligence of project proposals and funded projects and is expected to be able to critically analyse the project rationale and, working with Senior Programme Managers and the IP & Commercial team, the proposed intellectual property (IP) and commercialisation arrangements. The appointed individual will need to manage complex stakeholder situations and possess a creative approach to problem solving.
Other key aspects include the management of a portfolio of funded projects, supporting team members and the improvement of operational processes and working practices. The Programme Manager will also be involved in the capture of key outputs and their impact on delivering patient benefit. There will also be a need to build case studies as projects evolve to provide insight into their success.
- Supporting all aspects of research funding, including researching potential call themes, advising potential applicants, eligibility checking of outline applications, reviewing and short-listing of applications for funding, coordinating and managing the peer review process and providing feedback to successful and unsuccessful applicants
- Undertaking due diligence of proposals based on critical assessment of new product opportunities (therapeutics, devices and diagnostics), including reviewing the scientific, technical and clinical rationale, and, supported by senior members of the team, analysis of project budgets and value for money, evaluation of proposed IP protection and freedom to operate positions and assessment of the proposed commercialisation strategy
- Negotiating funding agreements for projects recommended for funding, including the negotiation of milestones, financial arrangements and reporting requirements to enable successful project development
- Managing a portfolio of funded projects at various stages of development across all healthcare sectors, including monitoring of scientific, technical, clinical and financial performance to ensure appropriate translation strategies are in place leading to commercial/patient benefit realisation
- Acting as a member of project Research Steering Groups and Intellectual Property Management Groups to represent the programmes' perspective and facilitate successful project development towards commercialisation/NHS adoption
- Organising and leading meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Promoting and representing the programmes at external meetings
So If you have a degree in biomedical or health sciences, and have experience working in a research environment and enjoy being involved with extensive project management then potentially this maybe the opportunity for you?
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Agency.