On behalf of our Stroud-based client, we are urgently seeking an experienced Payroll Officer to fulfill a 3-month, temporary contract. This is a full time role and offers an excellent working environment, the opportunity to work as part of a close-knit team and flexi-time.
Due to the urgency and complexity of the role, applicants will need to possess recent experience in payroll processing and a clear understanding of payroll legislation and processes. In addition, you will have extensive knowledge of statutory payments and deductions, including SSP, SMP, Tax, NI, etc.
To manage all in-house payroll processing, including the day to day running of payroll and completion to BACS.
- Prepare all payroll documentation (new starters, leavers and amendments) for processing by current payroll provider
- Liaise with current provider in relation to all payroll queries
- Ensure all relevant paperwork/information is sent to external payroll provider within set timescales
- Check draft payroll before authorisation is given to run BACS payment
- Work closely with finance officers to understand financial background of system (cost codes and financial reports)
- Prepare starter, leaver and amendment forms for Pension Scheme and deal with all queries from pension scheme administrators
- Assist with proposed move from "hosted" to "in-house" payroll system - once this is completed, the following duties will become part of the position:
- Administering payroll, month end consolidation and processing
- Calculation and reconciliation of HMRC and pension records
- Processing of statutory payments e.g. SMP, SSP, SAP, SPP and ShPP
- Ongoing maintenance of the payroll system.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable payroll processing experience
- Understanding of payroll legislation and processes e.g. PAYE, NI, pensions.
- Extensive knowledge of statutory payments and deductions, including SSP, SMP, Tax, NI, etc.
- Numerical ability and data entry skills
- Good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Customer service focus
- Ability to work to deadlines
The hourly rate attributed to this position is £10.00 - £12.50 (depending upon level of experience)
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Business.