You will join the senior leadership team of this large Exeter head office, to take responsibility for all matters relating to health, safety, welfare, emergency planning and security. The job requires a strong grasp of recognised risk control strategies and management principles, supported by a thorough appreciation of health, safety and security issues. Ideally, you will have experience of working within the utilities industry or similar.
- Responsible for all Group activities concerning health, safety, emergency planning and security.
- Taking accountability for the successful ongoing provision of the occupational health service across the Company.
- Leading and advising on equipment, resources and assets to be provided in response to recommendations made by the occupational health provider.
- Developing and being accountable for a rigorous health & safety governance regime to ensure corporate compliance with all relevant legislation and with Company procedures and arrangements.
- Providing regular reports at Board level on the Company's performance in terms of Health & Safety, Emergency Planning and Security.
- Representing the Company in legal processes such as inquests and prosecutions.
- Assuming direct management responsibility for both the Health & Safety Team and the Emergency Planning & Security Team, including recruitment and disciplinary matters, in accordance with Company policy and in conjunction with the HR Department.
- Directing and overseeing the production, delivery and implementation of a new Health & Safety Management System, in accordance with OHSAS 18001, and ensuring by means of regular audits that its implementation, alongside the ongoing delivery of an appropriate behavioural safety campaign, brings about the desired business-wide step-change improvement in the health & safety culture and performance within the workforce.
- Investigating accidents and incidents, maintaining appropriate records, evaluating processes, and making recommendations to the Directors and/or the Health and Safety Steering Group to promote health & safety in the workplace.
- Educated to degree level, or with equivalent vocational qualifications (NEBOSH Level 6 or NVQ 6).
- Post-graduate qualification in a field directly related to the requirements of the role
- Chartered Membership of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH).
- A recognised national qualification in emergency planning, business continuity management and/or security management.
- An appropriate management qualification (e.g. CMI).
- A proven track record of the sound application of effective leadership skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- The ability to prioritise and manage conflicting demands for time from a number of stakeholders.
- Well-developed, broad-based human relations skills to develop and motivate staff and achieve change.
- Personal integrity
- Self-motivation and enthusiasm
- Independent judgement
- Influencing skills
Working Hours: 9-5.30 Mon-Fri
To apply, or to find out more information, please click on one of the "apply" buttons
Please note that due to a high level of applications, we can only respond immediately to applicants whose skills & qualifications are suitable for this position.
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Agency.