Highways Structural Engineer - Traffic & Highways - Central London
Our client, a large transportation organisation, are looking for an experienced Highways Structural Engineer to work on a contract basis in an established Office in Central London to manage the Surface Highways Structures to ensure they are fit for purpose and safe to use. This role will see the successful candidate assist in providing technical advice to colleagues and external bodies on structural matters.
We are looking for candidates with a strong background working in Highways Structural Engineering roles with experience of being responsible for the receipt and collation of asset condition information, making recommendations for asset investment and production of the subsequent justifications and business cases. We are looking for chartered Civil or Structural Engineers or Engineers with equivalent qualifications and experience, candidates must have an understanding of the principles and practice of asset management relating to highways structures and other assets and related computer systems as well as an understanding of transport issues affecting London's road network and management and operation of the road network to meet transport policy objectives.
The successful candidate will be responsible for sponsoring capital schemes up to £2Million in value, assist with the management of the Structures Capital Programme and there is a possibility of having the responsibility of becoming a line manager to one or more staff including Assistant Engineers, Graduates and Technicians.
The ideal candidates for this role will be/have:
- Recently Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer or equivalent qualification and relevant experience or an Engineer working towards membership of a professional institution with significant relevant experience
- Understanding of the principles and practices of asset management relating to highway structures and other assets and related computer systems: Understanding of transport issues affecting London's road network and of the management and operation of a road network to meet transport policy objectives and working knowledge of safety legislation and environmental legislation and good practice relating to the design, construction and maintenance of highways structures
- Numerate and computer literate with good keyboard skills with MS Office experience, especially Word, Excel and Outlook
- Good understanding of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB), the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCHW), British standards and other standards required in the maintenance of Highway Structures, detailed working knowledge of assessment and design of the common forms of highways structures: Knowledge of value management/value engineering techniques, working knowledge of relevant laws, regulations and acts of parliament and associated guidance, e.g. Highways Act, Good understanding of project and programme management methodologies
- Good verbal and written communication skills with a range of stakeholders, able to build relationships and influence people
- Able to respond quickly to queries and provide a range of solutions where appropriate, thinking laterally and conceptually
- Ability to assist with the specifications of materials and components
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings, bar bending schedules etc. Should be capable of producing detailed sketches to allow production of drawings, bar bending schedules and the like for small and medium complexity jobs
- Ability to write accurate and concise technical reports in grammatically correct English
- Ability to interpret technical and non-technical reports, solve problems and make recommendations
- Able to progress under own initiative with minimal supervision
- Ability to Manage resources, budgets and structures capital programmes: Be able to undertake business planning
- Able to apply appropriate project and programme management techniques
- Experience in a structures or highway authority organisation, working with consultants and contractors in this field
- Experience of managing resources, budgets, bridge maintenance and improvement programmes of work and projects to deliver results to time and cost
- Experience of supervising technical staff and developing staff using relevant techniques
- Experience of specifying materials in connection with the design and maintenance of structures
- Experience of undertaking design of works relating to structures: Structural inspections and assessments
- Experience of identifying and prioritising works in connection with highways structures: Applying value management and value engineering techniques
This is an outstanding opportunity to join an expanding team and significant player in UK's Highways Consultancy market, working on the some of the most renowned UK projects.
For a confidential discussion on this role, please contact Darren Johnston on 0161 929 3804, or likewise please submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Business.