Design Engineer - Traffic & Highways - Central London
Our client, a large transportation organisation, are looking for an experienced Highways Design Engineer to work on a contract basis in an established Highways Design Office in Central London to provide support to the Lead Design Engineer in the undertaking of design and development of traffic schemes and development programmes across the London transport network. The successful candidate will provide specialist traffic engineering capability and carry out the design of traffic schemes and development programmes on the capital's road network in accordance with our client's Network Management Duty (NMD). This is provided to the Surface Transport directorates to meet the Mayors Transport Strategy (MTS) and the London plan and other Mayoral objectives..
We are looking for candidates with a strong background working in a Highways Design office environment and must be able to use Traffic Modelling packages such as LINSIG2, TRANSYT & PICADY. Candidates must be able to demonstrate a high aptitude in service delivery, excellent communicators and able to liaise with clients/stakeholders and demonstrate technical qualities for the role.
- Support the Lead Design Engineer (LDE) by undertaking design and development of traffic schemes on the capital's road network to agreed time, quality and cost parameters through partnership working with other Surface Transport directorates and business', government bodies and all relevant external stakeholders.
- Examine network problems and develop financially viable solutions through cross-modal design (eg pedestrian, cycling, accessibility, road safety, bus priority, parking and enforcement, loading, etc) signage and marking design, modelling of options, feasibility and initial design, safety audit, stakeholder consultation and statutory processes.
- Undertake feasibility design and optioneering of network improvements for future years and support the establishment of holistic network planning in London through corridor management techniques.
- Undertake advanced local area traffic modelling for option analysis, base case (existing) and proposed solutions (using packages such as LINSIG2, TRANSYT, PICADY).
- Ensure appropriate and accurate traffic modelling takes place to support and justify proposed schemes.
- Undertaking auditing and review of complex traffic modelling and traffic design work carried out by consultants.
- Undertake the initial design and development of current improvement schemes.
- Proactively support development of network improvements through extensive knowledge of traffic engineering, environmental improvements, public realm and road safety design.
- Support the LDE in the delivery of business plan objectives.
- Develop and maintain effective and constructive relationships with stakeholders, strategic alliances/consultants to achieve local delivery.
- Provide traffic scheme design support for public consultation activities.
- Provide coaching and buddying support to colleagues.
- Define, commission and audit traffic surveys to support traffic design.
- Prepare commissioning brief for commission and undertake day to day management on behalf of the principle.
The ideal candidates for this role will be/have:
- Degree qualified or substantial relevant experience and working towards professional membership
- Awareness of the principles of environmental design
- Extensive hands-on experience in traffic engineering, with focus on analysis of problems and solution development in an urban environment
- Experience in the management of projects, successfully working to targets and deadlines including records of delivering on time and within budget
- Understanding of the principles and practices of traffic and highway infrastructure and asset management
- Knowledge and understanding of traffic modelling, traffic management and traffic signals operation
- Experience using tools such as ARCADY, OSCADY, PICADY, LINSIG and TRANSYT
- Experience of development and design of urban traffic engineering improvements to improve network operation through changes to traffic signal operation, traffic management, traffic regulation and kerb-side controls
- Knowledge of the relationship between land use/urban planning, transport planning and highway and network management and development
- Understanding and experience of the design and operation of a road network to meet highway and transport policy objectives
- Understanding key transport issues effecting London
- Understanding legal framework including highway and traffic authority powers, duties and functions
- Numerate and computer-literate with good keyboard skills and fluent in using MS Office experience especially Word, Excel and Outlook
This is an outstanding opportunity to join an expanding team and significant player in UK's Highways Consultancy market, working on the some of the most renowned UK projects.
For a confidential discussion on this role, please contact Darren Johnston on 0161 929 3804, or likewise please submit your CV to email@example.com.
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Business.