Are you a recent graduate or do you have a passion for geography, cartography or GIS? If so then we have a role for you to try. You will be working for a local government organisation that produces nautical products and services for the Royal Navy and merchant shipping. Your role will be to update, manipulate, maintain, search or extract data from internal databases.
Working with a team of specialists, you will carry out research to support navigational products. Your duties could range from sourcing data for capture and distribution to creating chart updates and helping to create a range of products for the mariner.
To join this developed and busy team, you will need an interest in areas such as GIS or navigation systems, as well as cartography, geography or oceanography. You will need great communication skills and the ability to learn new software and adapt to change in a fast paced environment. Full training and support will be provided to help you develop and progress.
Ideally studying towards, or having recently completed, a relevant degree at a UK University
Personal Qualities and Attributes
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to make effective Decisions
- Ability to Deliver at pace
- The ability to adapt to change in areas of work and processes
- Good IT skills: word processing, spreadsheets, email and internet
- The ability to learn and apply new software
- The ability to work accurately
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to analyse and interpret large sets of data
Additional desirable Knowledge/skills:
- A degree in Geography, hydrography or oceanography would be desirable
- An understanding of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or Navigation Systems
- Experience or familiarity with cartography, hydrography, oceanography or navigation
- Experience of manipulating and editing geographical and other digital data
Successful candidates will be expected to undergo a Baseline Personal Security Standard before the position begins, please be aware that this can take several weeks.
This is initially a temporary placement which could become permanent for the right candidate. The hours are Monday to Friday, 37 hours per week and the rate of pay is £9.47 per hour.
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Business.