Upton is a village and civil parish in West Yorkshire, England. It had a population of 3,541 in the 2001 census. It is situated south of Badsworth and north of North Elmsall and is part of the SESKU (South Elmsall, South Kirkby, Upton) area. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book, where it is noted as having a church. The name literally means Higher Town and is recorded as Uptune, Uptone and Opton in old documents. Historically, the village was in the wapentake of Osgoldcross and the parish of Badsworth. In 1885, the Hull and Barnsley Railway opened a railway station at the south end of the village, which also served the community of North Elmsall. In 1924, Upton Colliery was opened to the south east of the village, but was closed in 1964 due to geological faulting and a serious explosion which required the shafts to be sealed. The village is also in the WF9 postal area (Pontefract) and very close to the South Yorkshire boundary. Upton is surrounded by 1 main road (Back Ln – A638).