Filton is a suburban town and civil parish in South Gloucestershire, England, north of the City of Bristol and approximately 5 miles (8 km) from the city centre. The town centres upon Filton Church, which dates back to the 12th century and is a Grade II listed building. The name of the town comes from the Old English feleþe (hay), and tūn (farm, field). The name dates back to at least 1187.Filton has large areas of open space which include several playing fields, a golf course and the former Filton Airport (closed in 2012). Filton is perfect for accessibility, the A38 (Gloucester Rd N) linking onto the A4174 (Link Rd) are right on top of Filton (Filton Roundabout) with a main B road (B4056) coming off it right into Filton.