Blaxton is situated, since April 1974, in the county of South Yorkshire and in the Doncaster Metropolitan District. Before that date, it was situated in the West Riding of Yorkshire, one of the three divisions of the county of York. It lay on the southern border of the county and the name of the community derives from the name 'Blackstone'. Blaxton has been through its history a small rural community. In 1811, the first time its population was counted separately, it had 132 residents. There were 146 of them by the mid-century and 149 by 1901. These figures, however, disguise a picture of growth and then decline, in common with many agricultural communities during the nineteenth century, as employment opportunities fluctuated and finally went into long-term decline as foreign food imports competed all too successfully with British farming. However, Blaxton isn’t all that accessible. It shares a train station with Finningley which is situated at Station Rd, Blaxton, Doncaster DN9 3AQ. It also has multiple but stops within the main town centre.