£50000 - £65000 per annum
9 days ago
Traffic Microsimulation Researcher - London (Flexible)
Vivacity Labs, working with Meridian, are looking to expand and bring in an expert from the transport modelling community to help them in the next stages of their continued growth and investment.
This is not the time to move from one consultancy to another. From one public sector body to another without good reason. We are in uncertain times, but not at Vivacity who continue to take their new methods of movement analytics and win exciting projects across the public sector advising on some of the most important aspects of society as we come through the pandemic. Nothing about the pandemic should be making you consider this role. You should consider this role because you are a Transport Modeller, but one that is strongly interested in R+D and where Agent Based modelling will go in the next stages of analysing the movement of people, vehicles, freight and anything else.
I am looking to speak to the best minds. Those who are confident in making a move, but to do so to push the boundaries of 'what is next.'
ABOUT VIVACITY LABS
At Vivacity, our goal is to make cities smarter. Our work reduces congestion by making traffic lights more intelligent, improves safety by spotting dangerous manoeuvres on the road, and supports autonomous vehicles & city management alike through real-time data.
To do this, we create cutting-edge products using machine learning, including sensors with on-board video analytics capabilities, and city-wide control and optimisation algorithms. We are currently rolling out thousands of sensors across the UK, and are seeking a passionate traffic microsimulation expert to join our Smart Junctions team.
This is an exciting opportunity to take part in shaping the future of an energetic company dedicated to revolutionising the way our cities work while supporting the personal growth of every team member. On joining you can expect a warm welcome from a friendly team, with plenty of fun activities & a range of benefits.
As a traffic microsimulation researcher in the Smart Junctions team, you will be part of a group that's developing new technologies to optimise traffic light control in cities. We are revolutionising the way that traffic is managed by leveraging our existing expertise in applied machine-learning and by giving more power to network operators.
The Smart Junctions team is cross-disciplinary and includes software developers, systems and hardware engineers, machine-learning researchers and project management. As a member of the team, you'll have an excellent opportunity to learn, grow and shape the direction of our current and future products.
Your day to day tasks will include:
- Calibration and validation of microsimulation models (SUMO) using extremely accurate data from our vision-based sensors
- Experimenting with automation of calibration & validation from our data feeds
- Timeseries data analysis and presentation of findings to assess quality of both simulations and AI algorithms
- Working closely with machine learning researchers, contributing to our software stack, and upskilling where necessary to drive value from simulation for traffic light control research
- Collaborating with the broader team to deploy research outputs into the real world
- An agile workflow of daily standups with fortnightly grooming, planning, and retrospective meetings
- Strong understanding of traffic simulation calibration and evidence of applying this. Experience with other relevant types of simulation would also be considered.
- Willingness to upskill machine learning and software engineering competencies (python and C++) if needed
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Genuine interest in AI and driving cutting-edge research to real-world control systems
- Enjoy working as part of a fast-moving, collaborative team
While not necessary, the following experience would substantially strengthen any application:
- Experience calibrating SUMO simulation models or developing SUMO source code
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience relevant to traffic signal control
- Software engineering experience with python or C++
For us, your attitude & approach to a novel application of microsimulation is more important than the depth of your experience. We are hiring more broadly across the team, and so will counterbalance your experience with hiring into other roles. As such, we would be excited to receive applications from people with a range of experiences, from just a few years with microsimulation to experts with 10+ years - and we will adjust our salary expectations accordingly.
Finally, Vivacity welcomes applications from all candidates and embraces diversity within our teams.
For more information and a warm and confidential discussion, please contact Fred Ewing who would be happy to talk through in more detail. firstname.lastname@example.org
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Agency.