Engineering Construction & NAECI
Car or car allowance, pension, holidays
Cable Systems Design_1565278468
16 days ago
An opportunity to join a Tier one building contractor!
Senior Cabling System Design Engineer required to join their Power Transmission & Distribution business.
- The position involves carrying out the design of high voltage and extra high voltage power cable systems with detailed installation design information, initially to allow cost estimating of proposed systems and following receipt of an order to carry out the contract engineering.
As a Senior Cabling System Design Engineer, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Use AutoCAD, cabling software packages to develop and assess cable installation scenarios and verify existing designs where applicable;
- Supervise the production of cable installation layouts from conceptual designs to completed engineering drawings (GA's), either from existing designs or where required new designs;
- Produce cable pulling tensions calculations using CSED in house software to prove cable routes and designs are achievable;
- Check and approve drawings to ensure cable installation parameters are met and adhered to;
- Supervise the production of cable support steelwork including cable bridges, terminations structures, trough support steelwork etc, from conceptual designs to completed engineering drawings (GA's), either from existing designs or where required new designs;
- Work to guide site teams, by conducting site visits as necessary, to determine and approve routes and setups to install all types of HV cables. This will include identifying hazards, risks, easements, cable installation parameters;
- Work to produce technical reports and documents i.e. installation methodologies relating to specific cabling projects;
- Work alongside innovations team to help develop and introduce cutting edge technologies into projects;
- Work to carryout TR, density; void ratio etc. testing on sand, sand/ gravel and CBS samples for cabling contracts across the company. Help to develop CSED's test processes and procedures to ensure continuity and efficiency;
- Help support PDM's to produce design budgets and programmes for forth coming contracts and tenders.
|Who we're looking for|
You will have the following experience and qualities:
- Degree/HND/HNC in Electrical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering;
- Ability to take the initiative, demonstrate a pro-active approach to activities, problems and one self;
- Basic understanding of industry HV cable installation standards and specifications;
- Understanding of cable installation types, their requirements and installation parameters i.e. flexible or rigid arrangements, minimum bending radii;
- Ability to understand client's requirements and work well with colleagues to develop and deliver solutions in an efficient and cost effective manner;
- Ability to manage the various inter-departmental design interfaces (i.e. structural design, planning, electrical design, drawing office) efficiently and effectively to deliver complex designs solutions;
- Ability to both write and understand technical documents relating to all aspects of cabling and HV cable systems;
- Good understanding of risks associated with cabling works. Recently completed CDM training with specific focus on a designer's perspective. Ability to complete DRA for designs being developed and produced;
- BESC, NG Persons and Confined Space trained preferred;
- Ability to prioritise workloads in a proactive and organised fashion (using software tools as necessary) to ensure key deadlines are met and reliant parties are kept informed.
- Good understanding of CSED procedures and QA system. Ability to create, file and locate required drawings and documents using CADVARS as required in line with QA procedures;
- Have a good understanding of the requirement for structural calculations including fixing types and arrangements and be able to define cable system loads to enable structural design teams to conduct their work efficiently;
- Add value to projects from previous experience working on cabling sites;
- Ensure value for money throughout the design process by preventing unnecessary work and ensure continuity during design process;
- Knowledge of and / or the ability to produce DH15 report to enable the assessment and reuse of existing structures;
- Understanding or awareness of TMF forces and their impact on cable support structures and system design;
- Understanding of system design parameters and their impact on cable arrangements and formation when installed;
- Knowledge of oil filled cables and ability to carry out hydraulic assessments to verify existing designs or modify as necessary;
- Proven track record of working with clients and customers to deliver projects, on time and on budget.
|What's in it for you:|
You will get the opportunity to work on major schemes up to £100million. And will join a company that focuses on recruiting, training and developing it's team. You will also be offered a competitive salary and a a great benefits package.
Meridian Business Support is acting on behalf of our Client as a Recruitment Agency.