If you are looking for a catering job in a hospital then you've arrived at the right place!
The catering staff in a hospital are responsible for providing service users with nutritious meals in a hygienic environment. Their role includes ensuring the kitchen is clean and tidy, serving food to staff and visitors and delivering meals to the patients on the wards.
Core skills include:
- To work within established catering routines, using own initiative as appropriate, in the provision of the cook chill catering service to service users
- The hygienic handling of food products in accordance with food hygiene legislation and the Trust/Company Food Safety Policy (HACCP)
- Observation of statutory and Trust/Company food hygiene regulations
- Collection of service user meal modules and delivery to the ward
- Undertake the preparation and re-generation of chilled food items and service
- Taking and recording of food temperatures and following written instruction to decide in the first instance whether food is safe to use and then seeking further instruction from the Supervisor if required
- Produce all products in accordance with department standards relating to portion control and preparation, cooking and storage methods
- Liaise with Trust staff when meals are ready for service and ensure regeneration trolley is delivered to the service point for trust staff to plate and serve
- To be involved in the general cleaning following the appropriate cleaning schedules
- Basic food preparation including salad, sandwiches, toast, porridge etc.
- Appropriate disposal of waste in accordance with instruction, ensuring wastage is kept to a minimum by preparing and regenerating the correct levels
- Washing service user's cutlery, crockery and associated items by either hand or using the automatic dishwasher and ensuring the ward kitchens are left clean and ready for the next service
- Using a digital thermometer, take fridge and freezer temperatures twice a day and record readings on appropriate forms. Using written standards to make initial decisions about the acceptability of the readings
- Complete forms to support the HACCP analysis including monthly calibration tests on thermometers, hygiene inspections and delivery control forms
- Collate meal requests and complete relevant documentation in accordance with the pre-set catering standards
- To ensure stock control and rotation of the ward kitchen pantry including condiments, breakfast cereals and milk etc.
- The post holder must be willing to undertake mandatory training as appropriate to the job
If you are seeking employment in this field, email email@example.com or use the Meridian Health website to: