As a ward clerk working in a clinic or health centre, you'll have a lot of contact with patients and their relatives and carers. You may also have contact with healthcare professionals including nurses and doctors. You will greet people when they come in, look after medical records and test results, answer the phone, general administration. Often the ward clerk relays information from medical teams, for example updating relatives when someone has been brought in as an emergency.
The Skills Required
You will need the following skills;
- organisational skills
- communication skills
- IT skills
- customer service skills
There are no set entry requirements to become a clerk. Employers usually expect good literacy, numeracy and IT skills. They may ask for GCSEs or equivalent qualifications. For some jobs, employers may ask for other skills or qualifications such as word processing or data entry.
Crofton is a village near Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England, about 4 miles (6 km) south-east of the city, some 6 miles (10 km) to the west of the town of Pontefract, and 4 miles (6 km) from the town of Featherstone. The population of the civil parish at the time of the 2011 census was 5,781. Crofton is located on the A638 road that runs between Wakefield and Doncaster and serves as the village's lifeline. There are several bus routes which run from Crofton:
• 148, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to Knottingley and Pontefract via Crofton.
• 195/196, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to Hemsworth via Crofton and Walton.
• 485, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to South Elmsall via Ackworth Crofton and Agbrigg.
• 496/497, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to Upton via Belle Vue, Crofton and South Elmsall.
• The P2/6, Poppletons Coaches – Pontefract to Wakefield via NEW College, North Featherstone, Ackton, Sharlston, Crofton and Walton