Waiters take orders and serve food and beverages to patrons at tables in dining establishment. Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems.
- • excellent customer service skills
- • an interest in food and drink
- • high standards of personal hygiene
- • the ability to remain calm under pressure
- • an awareness of health and safety issues
- • the ability to memorise orders
- • good numeracy skills for dealing with bills and payments
- • the ability to work on your own and as part of a team
You will not usually need any specific qualifications to work as a waiter or waitress, but you will need a good standard of maths and English and excellent 'people' skills. Previous experience of customer service would also give you an advantage.
The Scottish city of Glasgow is a perfect balance between modern efficiency and beauty, with a blend of rustic and astonishing architecture that still stands today. Glasgow has various art galleries and museums that are unmissable, including the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and the award-winning Riverside Museum. Glasgow has a very unique feel about the city, and is a great place to live and work, as it incorporates the Scottish culture into the United Kingdom in a tourist-friendly way.
Glasgow is also easily accessed from the rest of the United Kingdom, with several motorways accessing the city from various directions, including the M8, M74, M77 and M80. There are also many train stations across Glasgow city, making train travel an added ease. If this wasn’t enough, Glasgow International Airport offers tourists and locals alike an easy travel system to further out locations across the world.