Waiters take orders and serve food and beverages to patrons at tables in dining establishment. Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems.
- • excellent customer service skills
- • an interest in food and drink
- • high standards of personal hygiene
- • the ability to remain calm under pressure
- • an awareness of health and safety issues
- • the ability to memorise orders
- • good numeracy skills for dealing with bills and payments
- • the ability to work on your own and as part of a team
You will not usually need any specific qualifications to work as a waiter or waitress, but you will need a good standard of maths and English and excellent 'people' skills. Previous experience of customer service would also give you an advantage.
Situated centrally in the mainland British Isles, Derby is a picturesque city, with a pleasant mix of rural and urban landscapes, making it both a practical yet attractive place to live and work.
With several notable parks, historic sites and gardens to visit, Derby flaunts a wide array of historic and beautiful attractions. Yet the city is also supplemented with various shopping locations, such as the Intu Derby and the Derby Market Hall. On top of this, the public transport around Derby is made easy with bus services, Derby railway station, and various coach and private hire services. On top of this, the M6 and M1 both run on opposite sides of the city, meaning travel to further away locations from Derby is easy enough too.
Derby hosts a vast array of rural and scenic locations, whilst still being a developed and growing town in the middle of England, with great transport links in and out of the city.