The Technical Artist acts as a bridge between the Artists and Programmers working on a game. They ensure art assets can be easily integrated into a game without sacrificing either the overall artistic vision or exceeding the technical limits of the chosen platform.
You will need:
- technical proficiency in areas such as lighting and rendering, texturing, and graphics-related programming languages such as shaders
- have extensive knowledge of art packages ranging from modelling to texturing and special effects
- be able to customise art packages
- be able to work well as part of a team
- have good communication
- people management skills
- be able to work with minimum supervision
- have excellent organisational skills
- be able to think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations
- have knowledge of console hardware architecture
- be highly skilled in the use of 3D graphics software
- be able to anticipate the needs of the artists so as to streamline their productivity
- have knowledge of the requirements of the relevant health and safety legislation and procedures
You will generally need at least a degree in a relevant visual art or technical subject, to be a Technical Artist. However, experience working on wide range of projects, both in terms of art tools and game hardware, is the most important requirement for the role.
Crofton is a village near Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England, about 4 miles (6 km) south-east of the city, some 6 miles (10 km) to the west of the town of Pontefract, and 4 miles (6 km) from the town of Featherstone. The population of the civil parish at the time of the 2011 census was 5,781. Crofton is located on the A638 road that runs between Wakefield and Doncaster and serves as the village's lifeline. There are several bus routes which run from Crofton:
• 148, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to Knottingley and Pontefract via Crofton.
• 195/196, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to Hemsworth via Crofton and Walton.
• 485, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to South Elmsall via Ackworth Crofton and Agbrigg.
• 496/497, Arriva Yorkshire – Wakefield to Upton via Belle Vue, Crofton and South Elmsall.
• The P2/6, Poppletons Coaches – Pontefract to Wakefield via NEW College, North Featherstone, Ackton, Sharlston, Crofton and Walton