As a records officer you're responsible for the effective and appropriate management of an organisation's records from their creation, right through to their eventual disposal.
The Skills Required
You'll need to have:
- strong communication skills to deal with senior colleagues, suppliers and contractors;
- negotiation skills to persuade senior colleagues to follow agreed record storing guidelines;
- problem-solving and analytical skills to develop an understanding of how your organisation works and build integrated records systems;
- good project management and organisational skills;
- a good grasp of new technology to use and adapt to new IT packages and systems;
- an awareness of information management principles and familiarity with information systems and archives;
- attention to detail;
- flexibility to get involved in all aspects of information provision.
- Knowledge of the data protection and freedom of information legislation is also useful.
To become a records manager, you'll normally need a first degree followed by a postgraduate qualification recognised and accredited by the ARA.
The subject of your first degree isn't particularly relevant, and records managers come from a range of backgrounds, including archives management, scientific research, financial and retail management, and the civil service.
Entry onto a postgraduate course is competitive and you normally need a good honours degree and previous work experience. Courses lead to a nine-month Postgraduate Diploma, the minimum requirement for employment as a professional records manager, or a full one-year Masters degree on completion of a dissertation. Most courses are combined archives and records management programmes.
Mexborough is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England. Situated between Manvers and Denaby Main, it lies on the River Don close to where it joins the River Dearne, and the A6023 road runs through the town. Before 2010 Mexborough was in the Barnsley East and Mexborough constituency. Since then it has been in the Doncaster North constituency, whose current MP is Ed Miliband, former leader of the Labour Party. Local party Mexborough First currently holds all three seats in the Mexborough ward on Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council. The town is served by Mexborough railway station for trains going towards Doncaster and Sheffield. Mexborough also has a bus station.