The primary task of a receptionist is to answer the phone, greet customers as they enter the company and help out a company with basic clerical duties and tasks.
The Skills Required
To become a receptionist, you will need to have:
- a friendly and confident personality
- a smart appearance
- good spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to stay calm under pressure
- the ability to be polite but firm when dealing with difficult, impatient or upset people
- good organisational skills
- basic IT skills
- the ability to follow safety and security procedures, and put them into effect
- the ability to use office equipment such as switchboards, fax machines and photocopiers
- an interest in the work of the organisation
You may not need any formal qualifications to start work as a receptionist, although some employers will prefer you to have GCSEs, particularly in English and maths. IT skills like word processing, and the ability to use the internet and email may also be helpful.
Good customer care skills and an excellent telephone manner could also give you an advantage when looking for work.
Rotherham is a large minster town in South Yorkshire, England which along with its nearby settlements form the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, with a population of 257,280 in the 2011 census. Historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire, its central area is on the banks of the River Don below its confluence with the Rother on the traditional road between Sheffield and Doncaster. Rotherham was well known as a coal mining town as well as a major contributor to the steel industry. Traditional industries included glass making and flour milling. From Doncaster, on the train it would usually take about 23 minutes, a bus on the X78 would take 43 minutes, and a taxi would take around 22 minutes.