The primary task of a receptionist is to answer the phone, greet customers as they enter the company and help out a company with basic clerical duties and tasks.
The Skills Required
To become a receptionist, you will need to have:
- a friendly and confident personality
- a smart appearance
- good spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to stay calm under pressure
- the ability to be polite but firm when dealing with difficult, impatient or upset people
- good organisational skills
- basic IT skills
- the ability to follow safety and security procedures, and put them into effect
- the ability to use office equipment such as switchboards, fax machines and photocopiers
- an interest in the work of the organisation
You may not need any formal qualifications to start work as a receptionist, although some employers will prefer you to have GCSEs, particularly in English and maths. IT skills like word processing, and the ability to use the internet and email may also be helpful.
Good customer care skills and an excellent telephone manner could also give you an advantage when looking for work.
Pontefract is a historic market town in the Wakefield District of West Yorkshire, England, near the A1 (or Great North Road) and the M62 motorway. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is one of the five towns in the metropolitan borough of the City of Wakefield and had a population of 30,881 at the 2011 Census. Pontefract's motto is Post mortem patris pro filio, Latin for "After the death of the father, support the son", a reference to the English Civil War Royalist sympathies. Pontefract lies in close proximity to the A1 and the M62. Bus transport is provided by Arriva Yorkshire, the main hub in the town for this being Pontefract bus station. The town has direct rail connections with Leeds, Wakefield, Goole, Castleford, York and Sheffield from the town's three railway stations; Pontefract Monkhill, Pontefract Tanshelf and Pontefract Baghill. The closest airports are Leeds Bradford and Doncaster Sheffield.