The primary task of a receptionist is to answer the phone, greet customers as they enter the company and help out a company with basic clerical duties and tasks.
The Skills Required
To become a receptionist, you will need to have:
- a friendly and confident personality
- a smart appearance
- good spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to stay calm under pressure
- the ability to be polite but firm when dealing with difficult, impatient or upset people
- good organisational skills
- basic IT skills
- the ability to follow safety and security procedures, and put them into effect
- the ability to use office equipment such as switchboards, fax machines and photocopiers
- an interest in the work of the organisation
You may not need any formal qualifications to start work as a receptionist, although some employers will prefer you to have GCSEs, particularly in English and maths. IT skills like word processing, and the ability to use the internet and email may also be helpful.
Good customer care skills and an excellent telephone manner could also give you an advantage when looking for work.
Northampton is a town in England’s East Midlands region. The house at 78 Derngate, remodeled by architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1916–1917, is now a museum. Abington Park Museum has local history and fashion exhibits. Barnes Meadow Nature Reserve has grassland and wetland bird habitats. Sywell Country Park, built around a former reservoir, includes meadows, a playground and a native butterfly garden.