The primary task of a receptionist is to answer the phone, greet customers as they enter the company and help out a company with basic clerical duties and tasks.
The Skills Required
To become a receptionist, you will need to have:
- a friendly and confident personality
- a smart appearance
- good spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to stay calm under pressure
- the ability to be polite but firm when dealing with difficult, impatient or upset people
- good organisational skills
- basic IT skills
- the ability to follow safety and security procedures, and put them into effect
- the ability to use office equipment such as switchboards, fax machines and photocopiers
- an interest in the work of the organisation
You may not need any formal qualifications to start work as a receptionist, although some employers will prefer you to have GCSEs, particularly in English and maths. IT skills like word processing, and the ability to use the internet and email may also be helpful.
Good customer care skills and an excellent telephone manner could also give you an advantage when looking for work.
The large town in Northern Yorkshire, is the most populated area in the county of Northern Yorkshire. The eastern town, not far from the coast, is found as a somewhat middle ground town, between larger cities such as York and Newcastle. Despite this, Middlesbrough still stands on its own two feet, with its own very successful Middlesbrough Football Club, the naturally beautiful Roseberry Topping, as well as a larger percentage of employees in sectors such as Education and Health, compared to the average percentage for the country as a whole – making it a great place to work as part of a recruitment agency as well.
In addition to the diverse benefits of the town and the various things it has to offer, being such a staple town in Northern Yorkshire, it is unsurprising that travel to Middlesbrough is made easy; the A1(M) and A66 both ease travel around the area, as well as the A19 and A172 both explicitly helping motor travel around the town. The town also includes several train stations, including Thornaby, Middlesbrough and James Cook University Hospital Station. If this wasn’t enough, Teesside Airport is within 20 minutes’ drive of the town as well.