The primary task of a receptionist is to answer the phone, greet customers as they enter the company and help out a company with basic clerical duties and tasks.
The Skills Required
To become a receptionist, you will need to have:
- a friendly and confident personality
- a smart appearance
- good spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to stay calm under pressure
- the ability to be polite but firm when dealing with difficult, impatient or upset people
- good organisational skills
- basic IT skills
- the ability to follow safety and security procedures, and put them into effect
- the ability to use office equipment such as switchboards, fax machines and photocopiers
- an interest in the work of the organisation
You may not need any formal qualifications to start work as a receptionist, although some employers will prefer you to have GCSEs, particularly in English and maths. IT skills like word processing, and the ability to use the internet and email may also be helpful.
Good customer care skills and an excellent telephone manner could also give you an advantage when looking for work.
The Dearne Valley is an area of South Yorkshire, England, along the River Dearne. It encompasses the towns of Wombwell, Wath-upon Dearne, Swinton, Conisbrough and Mexborough, the large villages of Ardsley, Bolton on Dearne, Goldthorpe, Thurnscoe, Darfield, Stairfoot and Brampton Bierlow, and many other smaller villages and hamlets. In 1995 the area became a regeneration area, as it had suffered much from the sudden decline of the deep coal mining industry in the 1980s. In the 2011 census the ONS-identified Barnsley/Dearne Valley built-up area had a population of 223,281, however this region includes Barnsley and certain other smaller towns and villages that might not historically have considered themselves a part of the Dearne Valley. From Doncaster on the X78 bus it would usually take around 15 minutes, and a bit of walking. Taxi about 11 minutes, and if you choose to walk it could take up to 1hr 36min.