The primary task of a receptionist is to answer the phone, greet customers as they enter the company and help out a company with basic clerical duties and tasks.
The Skills Required
To become a receptionist, you will need to have:
- a friendly and confident personality
- a smart appearance
- good spoken and written communication skills
- the ability to stay calm under pressure
- the ability to be polite but firm when dealing with difficult, impatient or upset people
- good organisational skills
- basic IT skills
- the ability to follow safety and security procedures, and put them into effect
- the ability to use office equipment such as switchboards, fax machines and photocopiers
- an interest in the work of the organisation
You may not need any formal qualifications to start work as a receptionist, although some employers will prefer you to have GCSEs, particularly in English and maths. IT skills like word processing, and the ability to use the internet and email may also be helpful.
Good customer care skills and an excellent telephone manner could also give you an advantage when looking for work.
Avonmouth is a port and outer suburb of Bristol, England facing two rivers: the reinforced north bank of the final stage of the Avon which rises at sources in Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Somerset; and the eastern shore of the Severn Estuary. Strategically the area has been and remains an important part of the region's maritime economy particularly for larger vessels for the unloading and exporting of heavier goods as well as in industry including warehousing, light industry, electrical power and sanitation. The area contains a junction of and is connected to the south by the M5 motorway and other roads, railway tracks and paths to the north, south-east and east.