Clinical psychologists aim to reduce the distress and improve the psychological wellbeing of their clients. They use psychological methods and research to make positive changes to their clients' lives and offer various forms of treatment.
The Skills Required
You will need to show evidence of the following:
- empathy and a person-centred approach to clients;
- tolerance of stress;
- the ability to recognise your own limitations and respond to difficult situations;
- the ability to apply your knowledge of academic psychology and research to clinical problems;
- the capacity to be critical and analytical and to work in a self-motivated, independent way;
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to deal with people in distress;
- the ability to collaborate with colleagues from other disciplines;
- the determination to succeed;
- a strong understanding of the profession and the role of a clinical psychologist, and an awareness of current NHS issues.
In order to use the protected title clinical psychologist, you must be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which involves completing three years of postgraduate training leading to a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, or equivalent, approved by the HCPC.
In order to get a place on a Doctorate course, you will need Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC), which is achieved by completing a psychology degree or conversion course accredited by The British Psychological Society (BPS). For a full list of GBC qualifying courses see the BPS Accredited Psychology Courses.
Most Doctorate course providers are looking for a first class honours degree or a good 2:1, although some may accept a 2:2 if you have a relevant Masters degree or above.
Silverstone is a village and civil parish in Northamptonshire, England. It is about 4 miles (6.4 km) from Towcester on the former A43 main road, 10 miles (16 km) from the M1 motorway junction 15A and about 12 miles (19 km) from the M40 motorway junction 10, Northampton, Milton Keynes and Banbury. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 2,176. The A43 now bypasses to the south-east of the village. The Silverstone Circuit, the current home of the British Grand Prix, is located nearby; it straddles the Northamptonshire and Buckinghamshire border. Silverstone is conveniently situated right in the heart of the UK, approximately 90 minutes north of central London and 60 minutes south of Birmingham. Road access is exceptionally easy along the A43 dual carriageway from either the M40 or M1. By public transport the nearest stations are Northampton, Banbury or Milton Keynes all of which offer fast connections to destinations throughout the country.