A psychiatrist is a doctor who looks after patients with mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. As a psychiatrist, you'll work in a team of health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have been referred to you.
The Skills Required
To become a psychiatrist you need:
- an interest in how people think and feel
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to put people at ease and inspire trust and confidence
- good investigative skills
- an interest and ability in science and medicine
- the ability to work under pressure and make well-judged decisions
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- a keen interest in your specialist field and a willingness to keep your skills up to date.
To become a psychiatrist you need to have completed:
- a 5-year degree in medicine, recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- a 2-year foundation programme of general training
- a 6-year specialist training programme in psychiatry.
To do a degree in medicine you'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science, plus 3 A levels at grades AAB in subjects such as chemistry, biology and either physics or maths. Check the GMC website for a list of degree courses.
Woodlands is a model village 3 miles (5 km) north of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England. The village falls within the Adwick Ward of Doncaster MBC. The colliery village was designed and built in the early 20th century by the architect Percy Houfton as tied cottages for the miners of the neighbouring Brodsworth Colliery. In an era of model villages such as Saltaire, Port Sunlight and Bournville, Woodlands, with extensive open spaces, many different designs of houses, and overall living conditions superb for their time, possibly represents the height of the model village movement. The village is a conservation area. From Doncaster, getting to Woodlands is easy. It is a matter of 1 bus that takes 14 minutes (the number 50) and it goes from the centre of Doncaster straight through to Woodlands using York Road>Great N Rd.