A psychiatrist is a doctor who looks after patients with mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. As a psychiatrist, you'll work in a team of health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have been referred to you.
The Skills Required
To become a psychiatrist you need:
- an interest in how people think and feel
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to put people at ease and inspire trust and confidence
- good investigative skills
- an interest and ability in science and medicine
- the ability to work under pressure and make well-judged decisions
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- a keen interest in your specialist field and a willingness to keep your skills up to date.
To become a psychiatrist you need to have completed:
- a 5-year degree in medicine, recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- a 2-year foundation programme of general training
- a 6-year specialist training programme in psychiatry.
To do a degree in medicine you'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science, plus 3 A levels at grades AAB in subjects such as chemistry, biology and either physics or maths. Check the GMC website for a list of degree courses.
Woburn Sands is a small town and civil parish in the Borough of Milton Keynes, England, and part of the Milton Keynes urban area. It is south-east of Milton Keynes proper, near Wavendon. The boundary of the Borough with Bedfordshire is also that with the neighbouring parishes of Aspley Guise and Aspley Heath (in Central Bedfordshire); together the three settlements are a contiguous built-up area. Not all of Woburn Sands built-up area is in the civil parish which has its name: the meandering boundary between Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire means the Primary and Middle Schools named after the town are both across the border in Aspley Guise. At the 2011 Census, the population of the civil parish (only) was 2,916, that of the built-up area (including much of Aspley Guise) was 5,959. The town is served by Woburn Sands railway station which co-serves the near end of Wavendon which, unlike Wavendon Gate, is separated by fields from Milton Keynes. The station is on the Marston Vale line, three closely placed stops east of a main line junction station.