A psychiatrist is a doctor who looks after patients with mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. As a psychiatrist, you'll work in a team of health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have been referred to you.
The Skills Required
To become a psychiatrist you need:
- an interest in how people think and feel
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to put people at ease and inspire trust and confidence
- good investigative skills
- an interest and ability in science and medicine
- the ability to work under pressure and make well-judged decisions
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- a keen interest in your specialist field and a willingness to keep your skills up to date.
To become a psychiatrist you need to have completed:
- a 5-year degree in medicine, recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- a 2-year foundation programme of general training
- a 6-year specialist training programme in psychiatry.
To do a degree in medicine you'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science, plus 3 A levels at grades AAB in subjects such as chemistry, biology and either physics or maths. Check the GMC website for a list of degree courses.
Taunton is a large town, located in the county of Somerset in the South-West of England. The town is rich in history and has many picturesque locations which are a must-see. To name but a few of these, there is the Museum of Somerset, Vivary Park and the Tudor Tavern. With history dating back to the 11th Century with the Norman invasion, Taunton has some magnificently stunning historic buildings, including the aforementioned Tudor Tavern and the Saint Mary Magdalene Church. Blended with the historic architecture are various shopping and retail locations,
Despite possibly sounding rather isolated and quiet, Taunton is still easily travelled to and from, with good road connections for travel by car, including the M5 and A38, and also has its own Taunton Railway Station as an additional means of travel.