A psychiatrist is a doctor who looks after patients with mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. As a psychiatrist, you'll work in a team of health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have been referred to you.
The Skills Required
To become a psychiatrist you need:
- an interest in how people think and feel
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to put people at ease and inspire trust and confidence
- good investigative skills
- an interest and ability in science and medicine
- the ability to work under pressure and make well-judged decisions
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- a keen interest in your specialist field and a willingness to keep your skills up to date.
To become a psychiatrist you need to have completed:
- a 5-year degree in medicine, recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- a 2-year foundation programme of general training
- a 6-year specialist training programme in psychiatry.
To do a degree in medicine you'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science, plus 3 A levels at grades AAB in subjects such as chemistry, biology and either physics or maths. Check the GMC website for a list of degree courses.
Cantley is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England. The village is adjacent to Bessacarr, separated by Bawtry Road. It has a population of 2,830, reducing slightly to 2,817 at the 2011 Census.
Old Cantley was designated a conservation area on 8 August 2004. The Old Cantley conservation area covers the old part of the village from the boundary of Cantley Hall in the west to the village boundary at Nutwell Lane. The focal point of the area is the junction with Green Lane. With the exception of Home Farm, Cantley Hall and its grounds and parkland are excluded from the designation.
The distance between Doncaster and Cantley is 3 miles. Doncaster to Cantley bus services, operated by First, depart from Doncaster Town Centre, Wood Street/Princegate station.