A psychiatrist is a doctor who looks after patients with mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. As a psychiatrist, you'll work in a team of health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have been referred to you.
The Skills Required
To become a psychiatrist you need:
- an interest in how people think and feel
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to put people at ease and inspire trust and confidence
- good investigative skills
- an interest and ability in science and medicine
- the ability to work under pressure and make well-judged decisions
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- a keen interest in your specialist field and a willingness to keep your skills up to date.
To become a psychiatrist you need to have completed:
- a 5-year degree in medicine, recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- a 2-year foundation programme of general training
- a 6-year specialist training programme in psychiatry.
To do a degree in medicine you'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science, plus 3 A levels at grades AAB in subjects such as chemistry, biology and either physics or maths. Check the GMC website for a list of degree courses.
The founding city of Meridian Business Support. A city famed for its hard-working and humble people, symbolised by the Manchester Bee. The cities roots are reflected by the fact that thirty years later, Meridian’s head office is still located there.
Notorious around world for being the birthplace of the industrial revolution, Manchester has a profound history in science, politics, music, arts and sport. These can be seen with the various tourist attractions including numerous museums, including the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester Art Museum, and The Manchester Museum. Every year is capped off with the famous Manchester Christmas Markets, which see the centre of town lit up in festivities.
The city has modern and up-to-date transport systems and structures, whilst still flaunting stunning, classic architecture in the city centre and dotted around the city’s boroughs. Meridian is but one of the many staple businesses that make up this beautiful working city. There are countless ways of travelling around the City, be it in your car using the many road networks and motorway systems, Tram (of which most areas have a nearby stop), or the multiple train and bus stations.