A psychiatrist is a doctor who looks after patients with mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. As a psychiatrist, you'll work in a team of health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have been referred to you.
The Skills Required
To become a psychiatrist you need:
- an interest in how people think and feel
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to put people at ease and inspire trust and confidence
- good investigative skills
- an interest and ability in science and medicine
- the ability to work under pressure and make well-judged decisions
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- a keen interest in your specialist field and a willingness to keep your skills up to date.
To become a psychiatrist you need to have completed:
- a 5-year degree in medicine, recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- a 2-year foundation programme of general training
- a 6-year specialist training programme in psychiatry.
To do a degree in medicine you'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science, plus 3 A levels at grades AAB in subjects such as chemistry, biology and either physics or maths. Check the GMC website for a list of degree courses.
Recorded in the Domesday Book as Stirestrop, the village has since been known as Tristrop and became Streethorpe in the 17th century. The Manor House was built by the Swyft family and remained in their name until the money was squandered and London merchant Daniel Baker bought it. Their family sold it to the Cooke-Yarbarough family in 1769 and they built the Georgian hall in the village. It was the Eden family who made the biggest mark on the village though - and this is where the modern day name comes from.
On the A18 into Doncaster, Edenthorpe is just four miles away from the town. The A630 off the M18 runs south of the village and the motorway offers easy access south to Sheffield, north to York or east to Scunthorpe. Neighbouring Kirk Sandall has a railway station on the Sheffield to Hull line and Robin Hood Airport is a 20 minute drive away.