A psychiatrist is a doctor who looks after patients with mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and schizophrenia. As a psychiatrist, you'll work in a team of health and social care professionals to assess, diagnose and treat patients who have been referred to you.
The Skills Required
To become a psychiatrist you need:
- an interest in how people think and feel
- excellent listening and communication skills
- the ability to put people at ease and inspire trust and confidence
- good investigative skills
- an interest and ability in science and medicine
- the ability to work under pressure and make well-judged decisions
- leadership and management skills
- the ability to work well in a team
- a keen interest in your specialist field and a willingness to keep your skills up to date.
To become a psychiatrist you need to have completed:
- a 5-year degree in medicine, recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC)
- a 2-year foundation programme of general training
- a 6-year specialist training programme in psychiatry.
To do a degree in medicine you'll usually need at least 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science, plus 3 A levels at grades AAB in subjects such as chemistry, biology and either physics or maths. Check the GMC website for a list of degree courses.
Bradley Stoke is a town in South Gloucestershire, England, situated on the north side of the city of Bristol, 6 miles (10 kilometres) northeast of Bristol city centre and 103 miles (166 km) due west of London. Not far from the Severn Estuary of the Bristol Channel, Bradley Stoke is bordered by three motorways; the M5 to the north, the M4 to the east and the M32 to the south. Planned in the 1970s, building began in 1987. Bradley Stoke was Europe's largest new town built with private investment and was named after the local Bradley Brook and Stoke Brook streams. The Willow Brook Centre, Bradley Stoke's town centre and shopping hub, has more than six million visitors every year. The town is predominantly residential but was planned on a self-standing basis with retail, leisure and commercial areas in the North, South and Central areas, and various business parks on the outskirts of the town.