You will need:
- Strong leadership skills
- Team player at executive levels to collaborate with business units and functional partners like IT, finance, HR, legal, etc. The biggest reason for CPOs not staying long at a firm is due to culture
- Solid operational management and general business skills and savvy
- Working knowledge of finance and/or accounting in terms of budgeting, cost management, financial accounting, treasury, risk management, etc.
- Industry knowledge in terms of broad industry dynamics on the buy-side (and the sell-side), but also the internal knowledge and “language of the business”
- Excellent communication skills and even better listening skills that allows the CPO to get the “voice of the internal customer” and to understand the company culture and how to best communicate procurement’s value to it
- Ability to “sell” procurement’s value and to run procurement as a services business like any other well-run professional services business
- In-depth knowledge of sourcing and procurement principles and best practices, but doesn’t have to come from within the procurement ranks
- Strong negotiation skills to use for large commercial deals
- Familiarity with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as understanding of standard contractual terms and conditions to mitigate legal risk
- Strategic Analytical mindset and problem-solving skills
- Change management skills and self awareness to take varying approaches with a dynamic set of stakeholders (e.g., expert model vs. facilitative model)
- Knowledge of enterprise risk management and business continuity planning
At least a Bachelor's degree in supply chain management, economics, finance, operations, engineering or a related area, with a Master's degree preferred.
Wadworth is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England. It has a population of 1,229, reducing to 1,137 at the 2011 Census. Notable buildings in the village include Wadworth Hall and the parish church of St John the Baptist.