You will need:
- Strong leadership skills
- Team player at executive levels to collaborate with business units and functional partners like IT, finance, HR, legal, etc. The biggest reason for CPOs not staying long at a firm is due to culture
- Solid operational management and general business skills and savvy
- Working knowledge of finance and/or accounting in terms of budgeting, cost management, financial accounting, treasury, risk management, etc.
- Industry knowledge in terms of broad industry dynamics on the buy-side (and the sell-side), but also the internal knowledge and “language of the business”
- Excellent communication skills and even better listening skills that allows the CPO to get the “voice of the internal customer” and to understand the company culture and how to best communicate procurement’s value to it
- Ability to “sell” procurement’s value and to run procurement as a services business like any other well-run professional services business
- In-depth knowledge of sourcing and procurement principles and best practices, but doesn’t have to come from within the procurement ranks
- Strong negotiation skills to use for large commercial deals
- Familiarity with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as understanding of standard contractual terms and conditions to mitigate legal risk
- Strategic Analytical mindset and problem-solving skills
- Change management skills and self awareness to take varying approaches with a dynamic set of stakeholders (e.g., expert model vs. facilitative model)
- Knowledge of enterprise risk management and business continuity planning
At least a Bachelor's degree in supply chain management, economics, finance, operations, engineering or a related area, with a Master's degree preferred.
Magor is a large village in Monmouthshire, south east Wales, about 9 miles (14 km) west of Chepstow and about 9 miles (14 km) east of the city of Newport. It lies on the Caldicot Levels beside the Severn Estuary, and is in the community of Magor with Undy. Magor lies close to the M4 motorway. There is a nearby motorway service area sharing its name and it is within the commuter belts of Newport, Bristol and Cardiff. Furthermore, in the neighbouring town called Ifton, there is a train staion situated right next to the B4245 road that leads right into Magor, making it very easily accessible via train.